Search engine optimization provides traffic to the site from search engines. Such traffic is called search engine traffic or organic traffic. This traffic channel, like any other, has a number of advantages and disadvantages. Consider the most important:
- You don’t have to pay for clicks. Indeed, search engines don’t charge for clicks in organic results, so you don’t have to pay for users who come from search. Unlike contextual advertising, where every click on an ad will cost you money. But it’s not all that simple. You still need to invest money in search engine promotion – whether you involve an agency or an in-house employee. Realizing that the resulting traffic from organic search is times cheaper than traffic from contextual advertising. Plus, the optimization of the site is to improve the entire project – refined structure, landing pages, content marketing. And the customer gets both targeted traffic and improvement of the site, unlike other types of advertising.
- Hot traffic. Users search for the product or service themselves, and to do so, they type in search terms. Importantly, they are searching for it in real time. Therefore, organic traffic is one of the highest quality and most inexpensive channels to attract traffic.
- Flexible query selection. You yourself determine the list of queries that you want to promote in search. In doing so, you can work with a fairly broad list of queries, handling demand at each stage of the customer acquisition funnel – building brand knowledge, reaching “hot” demand, making a purchase decision, and working with your existing customer base. On the other hand, you can focus on promoting the most marginal products or queries that yield the most customers in your topic.
- The technical state of the site improves. In order for a site to rank highly, it must meet certain search engine standards. By working on search engine promotion, you can get your site to load quickly from any device, and reduce the number of errors that interfere with purchases. A little later we’ll talk about the factors seo promotion of the site.
- Improves the usability of the site. Search algorithms are adapting and increasingly take into account when ranking the usability of the site. Simply put, it should be convenient for users to filter, select and order any product or service. Search engines appreciate this.
- The results don’t show up right away. After optimizing a site, search engines need time to index it. Search queries eventually begin to rank higher and higher until they reach the top 10 positions. This time interval is always different – an average of 2 to 6 months.
- Costs of site improvement. Improving the site has two main parts – the development of a plan for change and the implementation of those changes. The development of the plan – the task of the SEO-contractor, the implementation – the work of your website development team. Both require resources – time and money. On the other hand, in addition to traffic or the necessary positions in the top 10, you get an improvement in the entire site. This has a beneficial effect on conversion – it grows and allows you to get more hits from any traffic sources.
- Limited search relevance. The number of queries in your topic can be quite small. In this case, invest in a full-fledged search engine promotion may not be appropriate. It is much more correct to put the site in order and maintain it.